St Mary's Church
Take a stroll around this impressive Anglican church whose patron was Henry VII’s mother, Lady Margaret Beaufort. The building was initiated to commemorate the victory of her son at the Battle of Bosworth Field in 1485.
Designed in a perpendicular style, the main body of the church is built in local Cefn sandstone and has interesting carvings in the stonework such as a procession of animals.
See the pews carved with poppyheads and the beautiful stained-glass windows. One of the windows is in memory of the landscape painter Richard Wilson whose work was described in the Welsh Academy Encyclopedia of Wales as the “most distinguished painter Wales has ever produced and the first to appreciate the aesthetic possibilities of this county”. Wilson’s grave can be found in the churchyard near the north entrance.
Opening Times: 10am to 3pm Wed & Sat (April to September)
Costs: Free entrance.
For further information please visit: parish.churchinwales.org.uk