St Mary the Virgin
St. Mary the Virgin, Riverhead, Kent is in the parish of Riverhead with Dunton Green. The Church was first consecrated in 1831 and ever since then Christian worship has been offered week by week and often day by day, the building being an expression of our faith in God’s presence with us in and through all things.
Built to a design by Decimus Burton on land donated by the Amherst and Lambarde families, it encompasses a large open Nave with no intruding pillars and a Chancel in Early English style added in 1886. St. Mary’s originally came under the authority of Canterbury but became part of the diocese of Rochester in 1905. This is noted by the engraving of the crests of Rochester and Canterbury on the inner West doors. Lancet windows bearing the shields of significant local dignitaries are to be found on each side of the Nave, and the Chancel and Sanctuary are dominated by a depiction of ‘Christ in Majesty’ in the form of an Italian glass mosaic. Above the south porch is the beautiful stained-glass Good Shepherd window paid for by monies (£45!) collected by the children of Riverhead village and installed and dedicated in 1908.
For further information please visit: http://www.stmaryriverhead.co.uk