Captain Cook's Monument
Walk up to the West Cliff to the tall bronze statue of Captain Cook and be amazed with the detail. The statue is seven foot, six inches high and stands on a freestone pedestal. It was unveiled and presented to the town of Whitby in 1912 by the MP, Sir Gervase Becket.
The inscription on the monument reads: “For the lasting Memory of a great Yorkshire seaman this bronze has been cast, and is left in the keeping of Whitby; the birthplace of those good ships that bore him on his enterprises, brought him to glory, and left him at rest.”
Opening Times: All day and night.
Costs: No admission costs.