16th Century Painted Room
No1 Church Lane is one of the most interesting yet mysterious buildings in Ledbury. It stands at the junction of the ‘kings highway’ and the east/west track from Hereford Cathedral to Ledbury Parish Church and has been the site of continuous human activity for more than a thousand years.
In Elizabethan times, Ledbury was a small town of between 600 and 650 people and was a market and religious centre for around 880 more parishioners from the outlying rural areas. Yet, despite having records for Ledbury going back to 1557 and beyond there are no exact records for this building, its purpose or its inhabitants.
According to Ledbury Parish Church Archives, there may have been a Booth Hall on the site, built to replace the original early 15th century one sited where the Feathers Hotel is now. With its concern for the proper conduct of Ledbury’s markets and fairs, market toll gathering, the Court of Piepowder, control of vagrants and the distribution of poor law monies, it might well account for the very particular choice of texts used in the Painted Room, with their emphasis on the good citizen, duty and love.
Opening Times: March to April. 11.30am to 3.00pm. April to end October. 11.00am to 4.00pm Sundays from mid July to mid September 2.00pm to 5.00pm
Bank Holidays 2.00pm to 5.00pm (Not open August bank holiday).
Tour bookings at other times by arrangement.
Photo Credits: © Copyright Ledbury Town Council
For further information please visit: http://www.ledburytowncouncil.gov.uk